Saturday, April 9, 2011

Get Your Crush On


Volunteering at an animal shelter is dangerous – and I’m not talking bites and scratches – I’m talking about crazy mad crushes. Wrinkly dogs, aloof cats, watchful parakeets, or nosy rats –I crush on them all. It’s so easy to fall in love with eager eyes and paws and cocked heads. Easy to feel that you’d attain perfect (Okay, okay - purrrr-fect.) happiness if you only could bring them home.

But I’m learning about pets: animals, clean and calm and caged are like those gorgeous displays of multiple t-shirts in luscious colors. You buy one and get home and – ho-hum. One shirt, pretty, but not the effect that tickled your happy while doing retail therapy.

I think of those pretty shirts especially when I see ferrets curled in a puppy pile – adorable, snuggly – about to whirl into fun mode. You bring one home and it’s the two of you, BUT... you can’t lie curled in the fetal position all day, or toss a little ball into the night. You’re bored and the animal you love is bored, and then there’s guilt setting in. But two means twice the expense and they go a bit feral if you don’t interact with them for stretches, so guilt AND anxiety set in.

Some days the world seems divided into two groups: people who like animals and people who don’t, particularly. This is really simplistic, of course, because we fall along a broad spectrum of connection, we with myriad other animals.

What I have noticed is that as our numbers grow and grow, while the numbers of other species dwindle we seem increasingly to want to have animals close by. (Extreme animal stories abound: pet lions, tigers, and pythons- until, that is, they start behaving like animals.) But I’m talking about regular pets and long-term loving them, and how we have to get smarter about our crushes.

Our pets’ lifespans mostly are shorter than ours, so if we really love them, we take into account their training period, their reproductive lives, and their geriatric needs. To be a true animal lover, I’ve come to believe, means taking a “’til death do we part” vow. And having a plan that includes other options than euthanasia, if at all possible. (Take a close look at pet insurance plans, and also New England Pet Hospice for more information and support of your commitment.)

Loving other animals can provide spiritual deepening: humbling and heart-expanding, our pets connect us with the cosmos, its daily mysteries and endless questions. And it’s can be - should be- mutually rewarding: from us pets receive affection, care, and good health care – even dental! The richest rewards are developing understanding of one another in spite of differences in language, expression, and needs. The presence of another animal in our life is a gift for which we can show our gratitude in many ways – ‘til death parts us.

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this because I was recently invited to adopt a cat whose owner signed a lease for an apartment that doesn't allow cats. I don't know this person, and don't know his relationship to his pet, so I can only make assumptions. But it made me so sorry that he hadn't made the cat a dealbreaker in choosing a place to live without at least finding another home for him in advance.

    Anyway, my observation is that this happens a lot among younger people like me, and I wish our youth didn't so often preclude consideration of these long-term responsibilities. Unforeseen catastrophes aside, when your life is very changeable, taking on the care of a forever-dependent creature can't be a decision you make lightly.

    So I love the conclusion you've come to about it, and that you brought it up. I can't wait for the day I can really commit to a little beast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! They are life partners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought I'd commented on this one last Saturday but must've clicked "preview" instead of "post." I'll summarize: I've been thinking about this lately because I was offered the chance to adopt a cat by a friend of a friend. The owner had signed a lease on an apartment that doesn't allow cats - I don't know this guy, but my first thought was "what kind of commitment is that?"

    I wish many younger folks would take into account (even when trying to do a good deed initially by adopting an animal in need) the many expenses and responsibilities that come with this relationship. I can't wait for the day when I can afford to care for a little beast, but I won't make that decision prematurely and flee at the first sign of inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete